Turnabout H.U.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999)

5 posters

Go down

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999) Empty Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999)

Post by Riu Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:44 am

Possibly the best game ever.
Go get it.

For those who want more info:
999 is a visual novel video game for the DS, with a basis similar to that of the Saw franchise; you play as Junpei, a 21 year old college student, who wakes up on a ship and finds himself kidnapped and forced to play the "Nonary Game", a game where he must put his life on the line. The game features himself along with eight other players, each one with their own number, and each one wearing a wristwatch-like device that displays their number (Junpei is number 5 for example). Upon the players meeting one another, their abductor, known only as Zero, comes on via a PA system, informing them of the rules. They are stuck on a sinking ship that will submerge in exactly 9 hours, there are 9 numbered doors, each with a number 1-9 on them, scattered throughout the ship, and the players' wristwatches, or rather the number on them, are the key to opening these doors. The goal of the Nonary Game is simple; seek a way off the ship. The only way off the ship? Through the door numbered with a "9". Behind each numbered door there are puzzles that must be solved, but if any of the players should find themselves cheating or breaking the rules of the game they may meet a rather... grisly end...

The game is all about trust and betrayal, and the player is given a variety of different decisions to make throughout the game. These decisions not only affect how Junpei interacts with other characters, but also impacts the results of the Nonary Game. There are 6 different endings to this game (why not 9? I have no idea), each one shittier than the previous one. (For those who are interested, the endings are as followed: The True Ending, The Safe Ending, The Coffin Ending, The Knife Ending, The Ax Ending, The Submarine Ending. It should be noted that this is also the order of them from best to worst. Also, it's impossible to get the true ending on your first play through. In other words, you have to fail miserably several times before you can win. Have fun.)

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999) 9991
From left to right and top to bottom: Lotus (#8 ), Seven (#7), Santa (#3), June (#6), Junpei (#5), Ace (#1), Snake (#2), Clover (#4), The Ninth Man (#9)

Also has a sequel coming out for the 3DS, entitled "Good People Die"
In case you haven't noticed this is a fairly dark series.

Last edited by Riu on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Riu
Riu
Admin

Male Number of posts : 15204
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999) Empty Re: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999)

Post by Crooked Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 am

You're welcome.
Crooked
Crooked
Professional Hugger
Professional Hugger

Male Number of posts : 861
Registration date : 2011-04-04

Back to top Go down

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999) Empty Re: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999)

Post by Riu Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:56 am

As soon as I send it back to you, play it.
Riu
Riu
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ema Skye Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Yep, I bought this game a while ago. I think I've gotten three of the endings so far. I want to get all of them.
Ema Skye
Ema Skye
Admin

Female Number of posts : 6176

Back to top Go down

Post by Riu Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:46 pm

AND WHY HAVE YOU NOT FINISHED?
Riu
Riu
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NS Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 pm

I'll have to try and get this sometime
NS
NS
God of Hugs
God of Hugs

Male Number of posts : 6368

Back to top Go down

Post by Riu Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Do or DO, there is no try.
/hasnotevenseenStarWars
Riu
Riu
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NS Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 pm

I don't like Star Wars, but yeah, there's loads of other games I wanna get even more so give me time XD
NS
NS
God of Hugs
God of Hugs

Back to top Go down

Post by book of life Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Something I wrote for this game back in Nov. 2010 (which is when this game came out, so you tardy to the party)

While I won't say its the best game like Riu's high praise gives, it is a good game to introduce people to the ways of a VN.

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Door (AKA 999) 961351_174053_front

You are a chump named Junpei.

You wake up in a room you do not recognize. After looking about briefly you determine you are on a ship of some sort. You seem to be wearing a watch that displays a single number: "5".

As it would be there is a door in this room.

It is locked.

And enblazed on it is another yet bloody looking "5".

Suddenly, the only window breaks and water starts leaking in. So here you are, one man, one door, and less then an hour before drowning. Time to get the fuck out.

To get to the point, you are among 9 people who have been chosen for a game, the "Nontary game" means "nine" in latin or something. Ignoring the complicated details (particularly the doors) you will learn in the game, the goal is get the out alive and intact. You will need the help of your would be allies, each who are not always what they appear to be.

Now then, gameplay. We all know and love VNs right? Actually, you guys probably don't. My peoples did. Well guess what, that's how this game plays out: VN style, dialogue heavy and all. No voice overs, that's probably a bit too much. The key thing here is that you are often at crossroads of certain bloody doors to enter. The path and ending you get depends on the choice of doors you pick and your actions in them. Standard fare with VNs.

To mix things up, every so often, you and a select group of your peoples will be trapped in room, and thus you must use what you find in the room to escape (you know, like those old escape flash games).

To elaborate some more, the puzzles are generally straight forward and every object you find is used so there aren't any false/useless items. Your companions will comment on your items and surroundings as you look at them making it easier to find out what you need to do. All in all, much of it isn't all that frustrating unless you looking for a particular item in which case you can only blame yourself for not being observant.

You all know how this shit works and all. Characters are colorful, and though there are VNs that are flasher and maybe storylines that are more interesting, for them to localize this is amazing in itself. It's no phoenix wright and it's no hotel dusk/last window, but I just told it's a VN, so really you shouldn't even compare. Edit: plot twists and turns are all over and the game should remind you of a certain..."trapped" VN.

Spoiler:

In short, the premise is interesting, characters keep my attention and it's on my DS so I can drag it along somewhere for a long day. It has my vote.

There are 6 endings: Two bad ends, one very ambiguous end (you may call it a bad end but isn't labeled as such), One alternate end (which is probably best viewed first, you may also call it a "fake" end for it's erupt ending), One end that must be seen before the true end, and then the true end itself. The true end is more or less a continuation of the one that must be seen before it, you might as well combine the two making 5 different endings. The reason for the true end to be like this is probably so people who get the right combination of doors to go through don't figure out or complete the game in first go. It forces you to play a second time in order to find out what happened.

Now then, for those people who don't like/can't think the various ways of getting endings (in preferred order)
Spoiler:

Unlike the world ends with you, you only have 9 hours. Get cracking, you're already at death's door.
book of life
book of life
Ultimate Teddybear
Ultimate Teddybear

Male Number of posts : 2285

Back to top Go down

Post by Riu Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Okay, maybe I am praising it a bit high, but still it's my game of the moment.
I'll be on to something new within a month at most.

Either way, get it.
Riu
Riu
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by book of life Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Have and beat it. Years ago.
book of life
book of life
Ultimate Teddybear
Ultimate Teddybear

Back to top Go down

Post by Riu Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Sorry, I was referring to everyone else, not you. My fault.
Riu
Riu
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NS Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 pm

...Street Fighter Third Strike though...
NS
NS
God of Hugs
God of Hugs

Back to top Go down

Post by book of life Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:20 am

Street fighter?

Melty blood actress again is where its at.
book of life
book of life
Ultimate Teddybear
Ultimate Teddybear

Back to top Go down

Post by NS Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm

book of life wrote:Street fighter?

Melty blood actress again is where its at.
I can't find that game anywhere! No site seems to sell it... how is it? How's the online mode?
NS
NS
God of Hugs
God of Hugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down